Pub Date: December 31, 2012
I was almost seventeen when the spell of my childhood was broken...It was the beginning of summer and, unbeknown to any of us then, the end of a belle epoque...
In July of 1914, innocent, lovely Clarissa Granville lives with her parents and three brothers in the idyllic isolation of Deyning Park, a grand English country house, where she whiles away her days enjoying house parties, country walks and tennis matches. Clarissa is drawn to Tom Cuthbert, the housekeeper's handsome son. Though her parents disapprove of their upstairs-downstairs friendship, the two are determined to see each other, and they meet in secret to share what becomes a deep and tender romance. But soon the winds of war come to Deyning, as they come to all of Europe. As Tom prepares to join the front lines, neither he nor Clarissa can envision what lies ahead of them in the dark days and years to come. Nor can they imagine how their love will be tested, or how they will treasure the memory of this last, perfect summer.
About the Author
Judith Kinghorn was born in Northumberland, England, educated there and in the Lake District, at a boarding school once attended by the Brontë sisters. She is a graduate in English and History of Art and worked in London, formerly as Director of a Plc and Managing Director of a company then owned by the novelist, the late Josephine Hart. Judith was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and nominated a Woman of the Year before giving up her career in order to focus on her family and pursue her dreams of writing. She now lives in Hampshire, England, with her husband, children, and various cats and dogs.
Giveaway (US Only)
- To enter, please leave a comment below and include your email address (only comments with email addresses will be entered in the giveaway).
- +5 additional entries become a follower of Passages to the Past. If you are already a follower you will automatically receive the bonus entries.
- +3 additional entries join the Passages to the Past FB Page.
- +3 additional entries follow PTTP on Twitter.
- +1 additional entry each, please help spread the word by blogging, posting on sidebar, tweeting or posting this giveaway on Facebook or Google+. You can use the SHARE buttons below.
- Giveaway ends on January 7th.